Saturday, December 22, 2018

What 2019 should be about

Unlearn. 

For the first 23 years of my life, I might have not even thought about this word, but for the past 1 year, this is the only thing I can think about. We grow up and intentionally or unintentionally pick up some habit, ideas and keep believing that is right and until we somehow finally manage to realize that it’s completely wrong or in some cases, never.

I grew up with a lot of stupid ideas, nobody has ever taught me those but it is instilled in my mind. I tend to co-relate ugliness with obesity, dark skin tone, missing tooth and what not. I’m really glad that I have understood my flaws and I at least won’t say something of that intent in the future. Movies and other form of entertainment is also at blame for spreading this propaganda. The fat woman HAS to be funny, and the main heroine HAS to be thin and fair, because apparently those are the beauty standards. But….who decides what is beauty and what is ugliness? Yes, some people have some definitions of what they find attractive but does it actually mean that anything but that is ugly? 

With internet research and ‘woke’ people, I’m also staring to get more ‘woke’ than before. Yes, I still end up saying some patriarchal bullshit here and there, but I end up understanding how wrong those are and I fix it immediately. So, here’s what 2019 should be about for me : Unlearn. Unlearn the bullshit that passes off ‘custom’. 

Unlearn giving out unsolicited suggestions to other people. Unlearn the fear that I might not come across as successful to someone else. Let go and unlearn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment